Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How to structure a day




It's been quite interesting to spend time with my recuperating husband and still manage to be "accomplishing" something. As someone who is used to having the summer "off", and her partner away from home, I didn't realize how much I structure my own time or choose to do things in the flow of the day.
With Sensei unable to work on our renovation (or go to his "real" job, either), we are finding what it might be like to be "retired" together and it's pretty easy as long as I don't let him do all of the time decisions. If we start our day with a "How do you see the day unfolding?" conversation, I think things develop even easier. That way, we are aligned on big goals and can float around some of the smaller ones. An afternoon update is always a good idea, so that we can regroup and see where we really are.
Altho', with Sensei, it's usually wise to not commit to too much because once he hears it as a possibility, then reality is the only option available!! Commitment is a big thing with him. . which is how we managed to get the house built so far. He decides and then it happens!! I'm more likely to see how things are going and decide in the moment. Ach, well. Tiny growth spurts are expected 10 years into a marriage AND this time of year.

No comments: